Thursday, October 13, 2005

Wednesday

Thought I’d report on the day’s activities as I’m sure you’d want to know how the schooling meeting went. Well, it looks like we may be able to homeschool – we met with the chief education officer for primary age, and explained to her our reasons for wanting to homeschool. She said we must write a letter to the education committee, which meets sometime around the 26th October, motivating our reasons and outlining the material we will do with Caleb, and they will consider our request. She reckoned we have a fairly good shot at it. They will let us know, so in the meantime we wait and pray for God’s will in this to be done. Very nice lady, though – she is part of the Salvation Army church.

After the meeting in town, we were walking back to the car, and a lady (British, my age) stopped her car and ran over to us to introduce herself. She is the wife of the governor’s chief assistant or something like that. I think she is British, very pleasant indeed. She has a three-year-old, and seemed to suggest that she would get in touch with me so we could get together as she has a big garden that the kids can play in. There is a toddlers group at our church on Wednesday afternoons which she sort of invited me to (although the boys sleep at that time). She lives in the country though, so not very close to us. Would be nice to have a friend who I can understand, we have to really listen carefully to understand people, and the younger kids are the worst. Had an 11-year-old come in to play with the boys today, but turned out to be thoroughly unpleasant. Couldn’t make out half of what she was saying and she seemed to ask the strangest questions, like, have I cooked, am I the boys mom, where’s the dad (who was in the study), do we live here, can she borrow the boys’ books, do I have a packet of chips? No? Naartjies? Eventually I sent her home. She also kept trying to pick Aaron up, who was terrified of her, as she is slightly crippled and walks funny (and kept walking on their cars). Shame, felt bad, but it was quite an uncomfortable experience!!

Tomorrow my plan is to paint the bathroom. Today I finished sewing the blind and I prepared the walls for painting (ie scraped off bubbly powdery paint, taped up where I won’t be painting, took everything out the bathroom and so on). Looking forward to getting cracking on home improvements.

No comments: